Population, Movements and Biometrics of the Purple Sandpiper Calidris maritima in Eastern Scotland

Publication Type:Journal Article
Year of Publication:1981
Authors:Atkinson, NK, Summers, RW, Nicoll, M, Greenwood, JJD
Journal:Ornis Scandinavica
Volume:12
Issue:1
Date Published:1981
ISBN Number:00305693
Keywords:Calidris, Calidris maritima, Ereunetes maritimus, Erolia maritima, Iceland, Scolopacidae, Xenus, Xenus cinereus
Abstract:Purple Sandpipers were virtually absent in June, numbers increased between July and November, and decreased in April and May. Birds which arrived in autumn remained within the area until they departed in spring, though some carried out short-distance movements. Many birds returned to the same winter quarters in successive years. The average proportion of first-year birds was 24%. It was estimated that the population was composed of 86% Norwegian-breeding birds, the remaining 14% may come from Iceland. 58% were males. Adults and first-years had similar bill lengths. Wing lengths of adults remained constant between October and May but decreased over the migration and breeding seasons. Half of the population completed moult of the primaries by the end of September. Mass was stable between late autumn and early spring. First-years and adults had similar masses, and both increased in mass during early May prior to emigration.
URL:http://www.jstor.org/stable/3675900
Short Title:Ornis Scandinavica
Scratchpads developed and conceived by (alphabetical): Ed Baker, Katherine Bouton Alice Heaton Dimitris Koureas, Laurence Livermore, Dave Roberts, Simon Rycroft, Ben Scott, Vince Smith